Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Nile River and the Day I Spent in it

So this weekend (Oct 22nd – Oct 24th) I was in Uganda. Friday, Mary Anne, Pam (two other ICODEI inhabitants – a mother daughter pair of nurses from Canada, but we won't hold that against them) anyways Mary Anne, Pam and I head to Jinja, Uganda this weekend for White Water Rafting on the Nile....hold on...let that sink in for a minute. In short...it was amazing.

We went to this place called Adrift, definitely recommended if you plan on following in my footsteps. It was my first time rafting and I was in quite good hands actually. Our guides name was Tutu and he was one of the originals that got Adrift started. I think we probably did about about 7-9 rapids, I think 4-5 before lunch and then 3-4 after. They ranged from class 3 – class 5, and we got to choose between a Mild or Wild ride...obviously we choose the wild ride. On about our second or third rapid Tutu asked if we wanted to flip of stay in the boat. Pam and I were all for flipping, but this one English wanker was like “No, I've flipped plenty of times thank you very much, I'll stay in the boat thanks.” I was pretty bummed, but ah such is life.

However, I got my wish on the last rapid. Now although this last rapid only qualifies as a Class 4, I would chalk it up as about Class 7 in my book, (as far as I know, you really can only raft up to 5, but you get my point). So we head into the rapid and Tutu gives us the, “Okay, GET DOWN & HOLD ON command.” Shortly, I recall looking into what they refer to as a “washing machine” rapid and there was certainly an “oh shit” or two. Our boat flipped over and we were allll throw overboard. I found out why the English wanker felt the way he did about capsizing. I was trapped under water, and Tutu had told us to find the light and swim up. Unfortunately, up and down was a bit too much for my brain to handle. I make no joke when I say I literally fear for my life. I was not quite sure when I would be able to take my next breath. When I finally did reach the surface, which seemed like forever, but I'm was a matter of few seconds, I was met with yet another wave – TERRIFYING to say the least. After a quick intake I was under again...and again TERRIFIED. When I surfaced out of the worst of it I saw one of the rescue kayaks that follows the rafts through the course and waved, trying my hardest to covey, “GET THE HELL OVER HERE BEFORE I DIE.” He asked if I was okay, I replied, “I'm very scared, and I can't breath cause my life jacket.” (Always the drama queen when it comes to respiration.)

I eventually made it back to my original raft and made a half-hearted attempt to tell the English guy that I now understood why he didn't want to capsize. However, I still think he was lame. THAT EXPERIENCE WAS PHENOMENAL. I have never feared for my life like that...and although I'm sure I'm being quite dramatic, it was amazing to make it through all that fear and want to do it again in a different river. PLUS...had we capsized the first time, it would not have been nearly as scary on that first one because that one was only class 4... still...I'm very glad to have had the experience every single second of it was terrifying and right after I swore had it happened before the last rapid I would have demanded dry land. But if given the opportunity I think I would do it again...but I suppose we'll have to wait and see!

PS --- PICTURES UPDATE TO COME WHEN  I HAVE FASTER INTERNET!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having a blast and making awesome memories! I'm proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone, facing your fears, and making the most of your student teaching experience. Can't wait for more updates and PICTURES!!!

    Take care!
    Britt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little warrior, you make me proud

    ReplyDelete